Lake Charles Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Representing Injured Victims in the Lake Charles Metropolitan Area
While most motorcyclists practice safe, defensive driving behaviors, they can’t always avoid collisions. When other motorists are careless or reckless, motorcycle riders can be severely injured or even killed. Because they lack the basic safety features of cars and trucks, such as seatbelts and airbags, motorcycles offer very little protection to their riders in the event of a collision. This often has devastating consequences.
If you were injured in a motorcycle collision or if your loved one was killed in a motorcycle crash, Hinch & Associates PLC can help. Our Lake Charles motorcycle accident lawyers understand the uniquely devastating nature of these types of cases, as well as the specific concerns victims and their families face. We can help you understand the best course of action and build a solid case on your behalf in our efforts to recover the maximum compensation you are owed. We go above and beyond for our clients because we genuinely care about them, their families, and their futures.
When Should I Contact a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
The State of Louisiana gives victims of motorcycle accidents up to one year from the date of their accident to file a personal injury claim. In terms of the law, one year can feel short and so it's important that you reach out to an attorney shortly after your accident. Photos from the scene of the accident and witness statements along with other important evidence or documents may impact your case. Contacting an attorney as soon as possible can make a difference in the success of your case.
Injuries Commonly Sustained in Motorcycle Accidents
As previously mentioned, motorcycle accidents often lead to very serious and even life-threatening injuries.
Some of the most common injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents include:
- Serious lacerations, scrapes, and abrasions
- Broken bones
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries (including paralysis)
- Neck, shoulder, and back injuries
- Accidental amputation
- Internal organ damage
- Soft tissue injuries (including muscle tears)
These and other catastrophic injuries require immediate emergency attention, as well as ongoing medical treatment. In some cases, victims of motorcycle accidents may need lifelong care. They may be unable to return to work, either temporarily or permanently. And, of course, victims and their loved ones will likely suffer an immense amount of emotional distress in the wake of an accident.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Lake Charles
Motorcycle accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, but statistics show that motorcyclists don't cause most accidents. Below, we list some of the many types of motorcycle accidents that occur in Louisiana.
- Negligent drivers: The phrase "driver negligence" is a broad term because negligence on the roadways can take many different forms. Any time a driver disobeys traffic laws, they are acting in a negligent manner and put nearby motorcyclists in danger. Examples of driver negligence may include driving while intoxicated, speeding, texting while driving, or driving while drowsy.
- Blind spots: Motorcyclists can easily go unnoticed in another vehicle's blind spot due to their smaller size than traditional vehicles. Drivers have a responsibility to properly signal and check their blind spots before merging or changing lanes to prevent potentially deadly accidents.
- Dangerous roadways: Many motorcycle accidents are caused by dangerous roadway hazards such as potholes, uneven pavement, or other risks that force riders to swerve and lose control of their bikes. Local governments have a responsibility to maintain roadways and can be held liable for any accidents that may result from dangerous road hazards.
- Vehicle defects: Faulty equipment is another common cause of motorcycle accidents. Motorcycles that are manufactured with defective parts or that are improperly maintained can cause devastating accidents. Manufacturers can be held liable for any crashes that result from defectively designed or manufactured motorcycles.
Providing Compassionate & Aggressive Legal Advocacy
At Hinch & Associates PLC, we understand the challenges you are facing. Our Lake Charles motorcycle accident lawyers provide compassionate, client-focused representation and aggressive advocacy throughout every stage of the legal process.
Contact us at (337) 222-3434 to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation with our team.