Lake Charles Truck Accident attorneys
Fighting for Severely Injured Victims Across Metro Lake Charles
Due to the immense size and weight of semi-trucks, big rigs, and 18-wheelers, these vehicles typically cause massive damage when they are involved in collisions. Sadly, drivers and passengers in other smaller vehicles tend to suffer the vast majority of life-altering injuries and fatalities.
If you were catastrophically injured or if your loved one was killed in a collision with a large commercial vehicle, turn to the Lake Charles truck accident lawyers at Hinch & Associates PLC. We have considerable experience in complex litigation, including cases involving large truck and commercial vehicle accidents. Our legal team can help you understand your options and fight for the maximum compensation you are owed.
Should I Hire a Truck Accident Attorney?
Making the decision to contact a truck accident attorney or to hire one can be a complex decision. In many cases, victims of truck accidents are uncertain if their unique circumstances may be helped by the expertise of a knowledgeable truck accident attorney. If you are in doubt, you may benefit from contacting an attorney to discuss your case and discover your opportunities for recovery.
What Does a Truck Accident Lawyer Do?
Your attorney will be able to help you compile any evidence that may be helpful in filing your claim. Photos from the scene, witness statements, and police reports can be helpful documents in proving negligence or liability.
A skilled attorney will be able to help you through the aftermath of your accident and can help you understand your rights and opportunities for recovery.
Who Is at Fault in Truck Accident Cases?
One factor that makes these types of cases far more complicated than most car accident or motorcycle accident claims is the issue of liability. As in other personal injury cases, proving liability is important to the outcome of your case.
In order to pursue compensation in a truck accident claim, you must show the following:
- The truck driver or another party owed you a duty of care (usually implied under various laws, such as the rules of the road or Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations)
- This duty of care was breached (often proven by demonstrating that the truck driver or another party acted negligently or unlawfully)
- As a result of the breach of the duty of care, you were involved in an accident/incident which caused you to suffer measurable “damages” (medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.)
In truck accident cases, the liable party—or the party that owed you a duty of care—is not always immediately obvious.
For example, if a truck driver was driving drunk and hit you, causing you to suffer severe, life-altering injuries, it may seem obvious that the truck driver was at fault. However, if the driver had a history of DUI/DWI but his or her employer failed to conduct a background check, the employer may also be held liable.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
In most cases, it’s important to uncover the true cause of a truck accident in order to establish liability. At Hinch & Associates PLC, our Lake Charles truck accident lawyers are highly experienced in investigating these types of claims.
We look for evidence that a truck collision was caused by:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving, including cell phone use/texting or eating while driving
- Fatigued driving/falling asleep at the wheel
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) violations
- Overloaded and/or improperly loaded trucks
- Defective truck parts/equipment
- Defective or dangerous road design/construction
- Insufficient truck driver training or supervision
- Failure to conduct background checks
- Improper or lack of truck maintenance
- Hours-of-service violations
Our attorneys are not afraid to take on large trucking companies and their insurance providers, and we fight to win. If you or someone you care about was involved in a serious truck accident anywhere in the Lake Charles Metropolitan Area, get in touch with our firm today to find out how we can help.